Back in April, I teased that a new version of MetaRadio was coming. This is the biggest update so far to MetaRadio – it harnesses our years of experience with now-playing data, and puts it into a super easy to use package.
MetaRadio was first released in 2016, and the application has grown significantly since our first release. Most of our enhancements have been driven by our loyal and enthusiastic customers – so if that’s you, thank you for all you’ve contributed.
Work on MetaRadio 2 has been underway since mid-2022. We can now confirm the following new features are coming in MetaRadio 2:
- New configuration app, including a significantly enhanced setup experience, and easier ways to view, manage, and use your metadata.
- Ability to merge metadata between multiple systems – for example, taking an external program guide feed and sending it to RDS alongside your Now Playing song data, or merging Satellite now playing data during select hours, and local automation system data during other hours.
- System scheduling, allowing you to enable/disable inputs at set times during the week.
- New options to include sponsor/advertiser messages in between song messages.
We’ve been testing these features internally now for weeks since this feature list was locked in, and the MetaRadio 2 Beta is going out to further stations this week. We’re aiming for a full release in July or August.
But today we’re revealing something more than dot points – Screenshots!
New Configuration App
Our old config app is being retired in favour of a fully web-based configuration app. This new interface has been designed from the ground up to make it easy to get started and manage your metadata.
The dashboard gives you an overview of your MetaRadio system, including licensing status, updates, and quantity of systems:
Adding Input Systems has never been easier! This new interface lets you find your system quickly.
Configuring a system is also now easier. Every system has integrated help text. If a system needs a custom template, this is displayed on the setup screen too.
Advanced Merge Fields
Ever wanted to share merge fields between different Inputs and Outputs?
Ever wanted an easier way to see all the Merge Fields available to you in any given system?
Ever wanted to access raw data from an input’s XML or JSON?
All these desires have been addressed with our new Advanced Merge Field options:
Many stations run multiple Input systems, and need a way to turn them on and off throughout the week. Examples include:
- A station uses WestwoodOne Satellite feed during certain day-parts, and their own local automation system during other times.
- A station uses their automation system most of the time, except for programs that air music from vinyl and CDs – during which times they use ACR Cloud Music Fingerprinting to detect the tracks as they play on-air in realtime (it’s like the Shazam app but for your radio station).
Want to schedule promotional messages during certain times of the day, certain days of the week, or even minutes of the hour? Our Message Scheduler lets you override the output of many systems based on advanced scheduling criteria.
This will be a great way to promote program sponsors, regular segments, or station promotions.
When is MetaRadio 2 being released?
We expect to release MetaRadio 2 in July or August 2023. We will announce this via our website and newsletter.
How much will it cost?
When we release MetaRadio 2, the price will remain the same as MetaRadio 1.
How much will it cost for existing users to upgrade?
All existing licensees will be eligible for a free upgrade to MetaRadio 2! We want everyone to be able to take advantage of the new features in MetaRadio 2.
Will there be any ongoing fees?
Support and maintenance is included for the first 12 months, and then an annual maintenance & support plan will ensure you get access to ongoing updates after this first 12 months. Some cloud services will also be included in future versions of MetaRadio, and these will require an annual subscription.
MetaRadio remains a buy-out license, so if you’re happy not to receive updates after your first 12 months, and don’t need access to the upcoming cloud features, then you don’t need to pay the annual subscription.
How do I get access to the beta?
Send us an email and we’ll include you in the beta programme.